Skip to Main Content

Legal Requirements

The following list of legal requirements are needed only for legal marriage. The Secrets Tulum Wedding Planner must receive the following documents to begin the application for marriage in the Civil Registry Office:

  • Arrival to the hotel for the Bride(s), Groom(s) and four witnesses four business days before the wedding. (Saturdays and Sundays do not count)
  • Valid Passports of the Bride(s), Groom(s) and four witnesses (This is essential, otherwise the wedding cannot be performed)

Please bring these documents to the appointment with your wedding coordinator:

  • Copy of the Tourist Visa Card of the Bride(s), Groom(s) and four witnesses (This is given at the airport upon arrival to Cancun)
  • Blood tests taken in Mexico; it is not valid if it is taken elsewhere. To be considered valid the test should not be taken more than 14 days prior to the ceremony. The blood will be tested for HIV, RPR (sexually transmitted diseases) and blood type. The results will be ready in 72 hours, and it will be given to the wedding coordinator to complete the paperwork.
  • Four witnesses Tourist Visa Card & Passport. If you don’t have the four witnesses arriving four days before the wedding, the resort will provide the witnesses with an additional charge.
  • Birth Certificate of the Bride(s) and Groom(s)*(optional-please see details below)
  • Please note that the ceremony cannot take place before the ten-day publication period.

None of the above-mentioned services are included in any of the Secrets Tulum Wedding Packages. The Marriage Certificate that you receive on the ceremony day by the JOP is only valid in Mexico. To make it legal internationally, the wedding coordinator will send a copy of your Marriage License to a Validation:

  • The Validation is issue in our Capital City in Chetumal. The process of Validation may take up to 8 weeks. Once Marriage Licensees validated with the “Apostille” Stamp and translated into English the Hotel will send it to your home address.

*Birth certificates for Bride(s) and Groom(s) are optional. It applies only if the Bride(s) and Groom(s) WANT the names of their parents to appear on the Marriage Certificate. If you decide to take this option the Birth certificate should be the one that has the names of the parents on it, also the translation into Spanish is required. This document must be translated into Spanish and should be provided with “Apostille” stamp and it should be processed at the couple hometown, this service not available onsite. In case that the Birth Certificate of the Bride(s) and Groom(s) doesn’t have the “Apostille” stamp. Parent’s name will not appear on the Marriage certificate, the spaces for those names will not be filled out.

In case you are divorced, and your passport shows a different last name as your parents we will omit parents ‘information on legal

paperwork and no additional documentation is required. Legal marriage license will be issue with the name on your passport.